Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

View Most Recent Posts

Author Topic: Build questions.  (Read 792 times)

Lance Bell

• Heat Winner
  • Smash 'em!
    • View Profile
Build questions.
« on: April 10, 2016, 05:44:20 PM »
Ok our rules were modified this year and I'm looking to see if anyone has experience with some of the changes made. Oh and I'm a welder/fab guy by trade that's part of the reason I'm asking kinda.

1. Instead of using up to 3/8 in rod as a gap filler and "stiffner" you can now use flat bar but it can be no wider then 1-1/2 in wide and 1/8 thick. I don't see how flat bar an 1/8 thick can give you more reinforcement then 3/8 in shafting, which is what I use. Has anyone tried both and seen the difference? 

2. You now need to run fb straps in a x to front and back bumpers 36 in long welded to hood/trunk to number instead of chains. I think this is more for the crappy job guys do with chains to secure bumpers then to make anything stouter.?

Then we can now double stuff tires and can run forklift tires on front only. This is the old way but new to me any suggestions? Thanks Lance.

fordpowerforever

• Administrator
  • I Own This Frickin Place!
    • View Profile
Re: Build questions.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 08:47:49 AM »
Ive never been a fan of using 3/8ths rod to weld door gaps, seems like 1/8" plate is a lot easier, at least for me. I think it will also bend easier and keep the panels together better then when it just rips away from the rod. You can get 1 1/2 x 1/8" for less then a buck a foot.

The flat strap from the bumper to the hood and trunk lid will be a lot better then chain when done correctly and tie everything together better, also protect the radiator, but i remember you saying you move them.

I wouldn't put any forklift tires on stock untouched suspension, but i would double them up. Be careful with heavy back tires on c clip and weak rearends tho.
COME TO FORKS 4TH OF JULY DEMO DERBY!

DEAFBOB

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 09:12:08 AM »
 :-XMight be more of keeping the doors closed than reinforcement.

Lance Bell

• Heat Winner
  • Smash 'em!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 06:50:55 PM »
I get the shafting for free from work and the sposor so most of the steel I need is free or close to it. I've never had the rod tear loose either but I do see where you said it makes things easier for folks.

So how is the right way to tie the trunk and hood in? As soon as I get this yard work done I'll be able to get back to the car and the important things I life.

fordpowerforever

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 08:35:07 AM »
do you have a copy of the rules so we can see what were working with?
COME TO FORKS 4TH OF JULY DEMO DERBY!

Lance Bell

• Heat Winner
  • Smash 'em!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 05:06:15 PM »
Hey sorry I've had to check the site but not much to sit down with the rules sheet. For the front x. 1-1/2" flat bar 1/8" thick. 36 in. Length. Basically cross in the center you can weld 6" on hood and 6" to bumper and then you can weld the cross. I've actually got with one of the guys that was part of the revisions, our boys do freestyle wrestling together. He's explained it to me and some benefits. But if you have and ideas I'm all ears thanks.